Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hoping for IVF

We found out Monday that IVF is going to be our best shot at having a pregnancy. I had been thinking about that already, so I was not surprised at all. I don't think Skie was either. We knew after the first round of test results this was going to be on the table early. Skie has to go through some hard times in the doctor's office in the next month :( Poor guy. He handled his very uncomfortable tests Monday like a champ!

There is still a chance that conceiving a child is not in our plans. We are not focusing on that. We are focusing on two successful surgeries, and looking forward to IVF (said no one ever, except when that is the only chance of being pregnant).

We have been busy preparing for his sister to move in, which should happen today. I am pretty sure these are huge life events I would not normally prefer to be happening concurrently. I was not consulted in the timing of events. I need to talk to someone about that.............. :)

I have been learning a lot about IVF online, which provides me with a lot of comfort. I just like knowing what to expect, and going to the doctor's office knowing the terminology and the choices they will likely explain. There are a ton of acronyms BTW. I am trying to learn them all and might at some point make a list to help me keep track.

I am also looking for a different job. I have a second interview Thursday, and feel that it will be a good opportunity for me. I have to get a new job to be able to do the IVF less expensively. Skie has amazing insurance and they will cover part of the expense, my job does not offer such a benefit. If I change jobs I can be on his insurance immediately, otherwise we have to wait until January. That's not an ideal situation. Skie is doing his part of the procedure in late August, so hopefully I can do my part in September. Then hopefully my HP will do his part and we will be preggo in September. Whew! That is a lot of moving parts! The odds of success in a woman my age is high on the first shot, around 44%. And by cycle 3 it is as high as 66%. Hopefully we are part of the 44%, but the ways things are working out, we are preparing for at least 2 cycles. It's the fatalist in me. :)

Luckily I have some acquaintances that have gone through it, and there is a HUGE online community. If you want to check it out this woman's blog is the mecca for all infertility related things. She has twins now, but struggled for a long time. I love the blog roll, because you can pretty much read about someone's experience with whatever you are going through. It's good stuff!  http://www.stirrup-queens.com

I am also grateful we have already talked about adoption. We are both totally on board with domestic adoption. If we get twins (there is a higher chance with IVF than with natural conception) great, one and done. If not, we will likely adopt our second (and maybe third) child. I feel relief that we have already discussed that, and have a future game plan. I'm a bit of a planner, just in case that wasn't obvious already. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment